Hi everyone! I’m BreAnna from Crafty Coin, a blog that focuses on how to eat real, unprocessed food on a budget. You know how everyone says, “Eating healthy is expensive!”? I’m here to prove that statement false!
Each week on my blog I post my $70 grocery hauls where I always focus on buying natural ingredients. If something comes in a package, I try to not buy anything with more than 6 ingredients, and I make sure I’m familiar with all of them.
One of the most effective ways I’ve found to save money when eating clean is to make your own of just about everything. It may take a little extra time, but your health and your pocketbook will thank you!
Here are some of my favorite quick homemade healthy and budget-friendly snack ideas.
Homemade Microwave Popcorn
- Ingredients: 3 tbsp popping corn, ½ tsp olive oil, ¼ sea salt
- Nutrition: Calories 148 | Protein 4g | Fat 4g | Carbs 26g | Fiber 4g
- Cost: $.12
- Note: Making your own microwave popcorn is so easy. Find the instructions in this post!
Homemade Trail Mix
- Ingredients: 2 tbsp almonds, 2 tbsp cashews, 1 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Nutrition: Calories 230 | Protein 7g | Fat 19g | Carbs 17g | Fiber 2g
- Cost: $.46
- Note: Okay, maybe this qualifies as a treat… But it’s got the perfect combination of sweet and savory, and the price can’t be beat!
Apple with Natural Peanut Butter
- Ingredients: medium apple, 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
- Nutrition: Calories 167 | Protein 4g | Fat 8g | Carbs 23g | Fiber 4g
- Cost: $.49
- Note: I only buy peanut butter that has just two ingredients – peanuts and salt. The price is typically just a few cents more than traditional pb.
Carrots and Guacamole
- Ingredients: 10 baby carrots, 1 Wholly Guacamole mini cup (or 2 tbsp)
- Nutrition: Calories 135 | Protein 2g | Fat 9g | Carbs 13g | Fiber 5
- Cost: $.79
- Note: I buy Wholly Guacamole minis at Costco. They come in a pack of 20 super convenient individual cups for $11.99!
Greek Yogurt with Berries
- Ingredients: ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt, 1 tsp honey, 6 medium strawberries, 20 raspberries
- Nutrition: Calories 119 | Protein 5g | Fat 3g | Carbs 19g | Fiber 3g
- Cost: $1.27
- Note: The nutrition facts are based on Fage whole milk Greek yogurt. Also, I always buy plain yogurt so that I can control the amount of added sugar and can use it in a variety of ways, which makes it more cost-efficient!
- Ingredients: Cashew Cookie is my favorite flavor! It’s made of just dates and cashews.
- Nutrition: Calories 230 | Protein 6g | Fat 13g | Carbs 23g | Fiber 3g
- Cost: $1.39
- Note: Of course there may be times where you just aren’t able to make something yourself. In those situations, I grab a Larabar. I don’t buy these too often because they are clearly more expensive than all the other snack ideas. However, they are made primarily with dates and only contain a handful of natural ingredients, making them the perfect emergency on-the-go snack!
Curious where my prices come from? I calculate them all based on my Budget Grocery Price List. I never buy ingredients that cost more than the prices listed!