Kale is a nutritional super star and beans bring some feel-full fiber to the table for this powerhouse of a healthy dinner.
- 1 bag kale greens
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 slices hot ham capicola*, diced (optional)
- 1 can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb whole wheat penne, cooked
- Grated parmesan cheese & red pepper flakes for topping
In a large skillet, add olive oil, peppers, garlic, onion, and capicola. Once onions are translucent, add kale greens & cook until softened (10-15 min). Add greens mixture with any remaining liquid to cooked and drained penne. Gently toss in beans. Serve topped with grated parmesan and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. For a heartier meal, add in shredded chicken.
If you’re still shredding chicken with forks, I’m about to rock your world. Rather than the mess of boiling and picking apart chicken breasts, throw them in the crockpot with a cup of broth or water and seasonings. 4-6 hours later it will shred itself when even slightly poked by a wooden spoon! So. Much. Easier.
* I use just a slice or 2 of capicola in many of my recipes for flavor. For convenience, I stop by the deli when the line is short and order some sliced capicola. When I get home, I pack it up into sandwich bags of just a few slices each for the freezer. This way it thaws super quick and I always have it on hand!