The key to a perfect snack is a combination of a carbohydrate for a quick energy boost paired with a protein to keep energy up for a longer period of time. It’s also important to remember that a snack is not intended to be a meal- it is supposed to keep you from becoming hungry so that you do not overeat at meals. For that reason, try not to get carried away with portion sizes.
Carb + Protein = Hunger Crushing Snack
Many foods on the market as snacks are mostly carbohydrates, which explains the hunger we experience an hour after eating them! Here’s a list of some go-to carb & protein snack combos. Feel free to mix and match- the carbohydrates are italicized and proteins are bolded.
- carrots/ hummus
- apple slices/ peanut butter
- celery/ greek yogurt ranch dip
- dried fruit/dark chocolate/ mixed nuts trail mix
- whole grain crackers/ low fat cheese
- orange/ almonds
- oats & banana / peanut butter smoothie
- granola/ greek yogurt